Your Escheating Heart

Posted September 25th, 2007 by Joe Kaiser

Additionally, I require the assessed values of each parcel, the minimum bid amounts, the winning bid amounts, as well as the actual amount, in each case, of the escheated funds.

I think it’s time we get to the bottom of this “escheating” thing.

As you know, I’ve maintained all along it was county treasurers and prosecutors who put your office up to this “foreclosure rescue scheme” nonsense, and this exercise, I believe, will show why.

Should be interesting.

12 Apps

After all, there had to be some reason for this investigation, especially since no consumer ever complained to your office about any transaction with me.

My guess?

Pierce County Prosecutor Bob Dick asked you to step in and put the hurt on me.

He was tired of me targeting abandoned properties and tying up tax sale overages that traditionally escheated to his county.

And me filing 12 Pierce County applications for overages in 2002 probably didn’t help.

betting it all

I’ve maintained all along this whole thing, at its core, is nothing but a turf war, with counties unhappy I acquire what they view as their exclusive property – unclaimed tax sale overages.

It’s been their gravy train for years, and me stepping in and spoiling all the fun was probably too much for them to ignore.

I’m betting it all that it’s why we’re here today, and more importantly, I think I can prove it.

The PRA

How?

So, let’s see what’s escheated over the last handful of years and learn why counties are so upset with me. To do so, I’ll be using the Public Records Act, asking county treasurers for their records.

And, I’ll be looking for support from your office to make sure counties are in compliance with the act.

This email went out to each county treasurer today . . .

Dear County Treasurer:

Pursuant to the Public Records Act, I request the following information:

A complete financial accounting, going back no less than ten (10) years, of all funds escheating to your county pursuant to RCW 84.64.080. This, of course, relates to tax sale overages.

Please note that all related information should be included . . .

Specifically, the date of the tax foreclosure sales, the taxpayers’ names, the tax parcel numbers, and the actual addresses of the properties foreclosed.

Additionally, I require the assessed values of each parcel, the minimum bid amounts, the winning bid amounts, as well as the actual amount, in each case, of the funds that escheated to your county.

Of course, I will be glad to pay for copies of all information, pursuant the statute, and affirm the information will not be used for commercial purposes.

Please confirm receipt of this email and kindly give this matter your prompt attention, as required by the act. If you have questions about my request, please do not hesitate to contact me at once via my email address.

I trust you’ll do your utmost to provide all information requested in a timely manner. It is that important. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Getting this investigation off the ground

So, as a result of this request, we’ll soon find out what the actual escheating funds numbers look like.

Even better, we’ll discover not only what’s at stake, but what precipitated this investigation and why there can be no doubt it is 100% agenda driven.

Stay tuned . . . it’ll be a hoot.

7 Responses to: “Your Escheating Heart”

1. Vlad responds:
    Posted: September 26th, 2007 at 6:57 am

I don’t know…Nifong, after all, may be the one that got off easy…

Rob, thoughts?

2. Brad B. responds:
    Posted: September 26th, 2007 at 9:58 am

Hmmm, maybe Rob should investigate Rex & Co, based out of San Fran, and operating in a number of states, including Washington. If they they think that you’re cheating homeowners when they’re in a tax foreclosure for a % of equity, someone must be a con if he can get a % of home appreciation by giving them an interest-free home equity draw.

I’m not a betting man, but I’d set the over/under on Rob contacting all of the County Treasurers to tell them not to provide Joe the information requested – 100%.

3. Jason responds:
    Posted: September 26th, 2007 at 12:52 pm

interesting Brad,
    Interesting that you suggest Rob would try to find a way to have counties not comply with a public records request.

Even more interesting to me……….
    Would love to see how all of those funds to the county were accounted for.

Hey Rob, If the math does’t jive with other accounting records,
    I suggest that you check Bob Dick’s freezer : )

Posted: September 27th, 2007 at 10:58 am

Delays and more delays, then limited, partially compliant responses are what you’ll get – until you take each non-responsive county to court – separately. Typically, the courts have been willing to enforce the PRA , but it takes awhile (years) to get it done. Thankfully, the penalties you’re entitled to can make it worthwhile for those with the fortitude to see their PRA request through to final adjudication. More power to you! And to the people.

5. Chris responds:
    Posted: September 27th, 2007 at 12:40 pm

Seems a more direct way to get the info might be to counter sue, and depose the public officials directly – if such at thing is possible.

All of my legal expertise comes from years of watching Law and Order

Posted: September 27th, 2007 at 1:07 pm

Chris,

There is an entire Act created addressing Public Records and our rights as citizens to see what goes on behind our government’s closed doors.

It is an important collection of rights and there is a no more direct approach to obtain critical public record information than a formal PRA request.

7. spyboy responds:
    Posted: September 27th, 2007 at 3:47 pm

Greetings,

Chris; You are asking about Discovery materials, which usually must be shown to be directly ( or highly likely to produce evidence of ) relevant to the issues at hand. The issues in a suit for failure of the executive branch to produce public records, properly requested, would obviously require Discovery production of such materials ( the listing of escheat monies paid out ), but, in a counter suit to the Atty. Gen. action, I’m not so sure those particular documents would be so directly relevant.

Thank You.