Meeting Eric Dunn

Posted April 26th, 2008 by Joe Kaiser

I haven’t been back to your website since you sent me that email.

I attended the Foreclosure for the Rest of Us seminar held by the King County Bar Association this afternoon.

And, in the lobby before his presentation, I happened upon Eric Dunn, the NW Justice Project attorney who sometimes plays a latina on the internet.

Long hair, some sort of puka shell necklace thingie, unbuttoned shirt collar, absolutely perfect.

The conversation went like this . . .

the conversation

Me: Eric, Joe Kaiser, nice to meet you.

Eric: Ugh . . .

Me: I enjoy your comments on my blog

Eric: Huh?

Me: Okay, well, see you around.

Eric: I doubt it.

Me: You doubt it?

Eric: Yeah, I haven’t been back to your website since you sent me that email.

Me: No? Not even as Ignacia Rameriz?

Eric: Ugh, who’s that?

Me: Have you seen the website this morning?

Eric: Ugh . . .

Me: You’re an entertaining fellow, Eric.

Reality bites, Eric

Eric’s definition of the truth?

. . . I haven’t been back to your website since you sent me that email. — Eric “Ignacia Rameriz” Dunn

Good grief, Rob, do you all just make things up whenever convenient?

Live Update

Eric just finished up. He did a good enough job, but has obvious blind spots when it comes to the role we investors play.

It turns out we investors are completely unnecessary in the real estate marketplace. Attorneys, it seems, provide all the services anyone in foreclosure could possibly require.

And me?

I’m a bad bad guy.

A couple questions from the audience left him looking helpless (I actually felt bad for him), and his answers sometimes made almost no sense, (that’s how it works when you deal in hypotheticals), but that was to be expected.

Reality, especially when facing tough foreclosure questions, Rob, sometimes bites. Just ask Eric Dunn.

6 Responses to: “Meeting Eric Dunn”

Posted: April 26th, 2008 at 8:51 am

Hmmmmmm……., let’s see what comes to mind here………..

Character(lacking), backbone(spineless), deceit, sleazey……..

Yep, good use of education and expertise in one defining moment..

2. Drew Hitt responds:
    Posted: April 26th, 2008 at 9:18 am

Joe-

I was hoping for a bit more about this little conference and what they said to do in some of those situations listed on their flyer.

What was they answer to what to do if Bankruptcy doesn’t work, or you can’t do a work out with the lender? Just let the property go to auction and try to stay in it as long as possible?

What kind of turn out? How much nonsense was spewed from their mouths.

Maybe that’ll be your next post…

BTW, Eric sure loves confrontation. As an attorney you’d think he’d know you’re never anonymous on the internet. Some people lack common sense I guess…

Posted: April 26th, 2008 at 6:18 pm

I’m working on a post or maybe something more regarding the seminar, but you should know it was particularly enlightening.

In a nutshell, investors are the big joke. Just mention the word and the entire room giggles. Attorneys with this mentality see them is without any value at all, offering nothing to people in foreclosure.

Attorneys, you quickly learn, are perfectly capable of solving any and all problems clients in foreclosure may face. In fact, they see it as their exclusive turf and investors as trespassers on that turf.

Our role is merely to attend auctions and bid the price up so homeowners losing their homes receive at or near full value for their properties (said to be an almost certainty).

Well, not quite.

4. Walt responds:
    Posted: April 26th, 2008 at 8:38 pm

Having been in the business world for several years before going to law school has given me the ability to think like a businessman, even now, 15 yrs after passing my first bar exam. I’d like to think that while I am an attorney, first and foremost, I am a businessman.

The problem that I see is that the vast majority of attorneys go right from undergrad straight on to law school, thereby continuing to immerse themselves in an education that does not allow them the opportunity to experience how our capitalist system works. When they graduate, they go into a system that perpetuates that learning; They do not know how to run a business, what goes into running a business, but only how to deal with “problems” of the business, usually through prolonged litigation.

“Profit” to an attorney is usually equated with billing a certain # of hrs(viewed in most legal circles as a necessary evil in order to advance their craft) , making partner or to a lesser extent, getting that Xmas bonus. This vacuum of a business perspective shows itself in the thinking of the practicing attorney on so many different levels its staggering to the imagination.

The real estate investor must be knowledgable on so many different fronts to be truly successful. When I first dipped my toe into this business some 10+ yrs ago, I was amazed at the level of intelligence that the better investors possessed. It appears that now, more than ever, these are the people that need to start a national lobbying effort in order to explain the accurate side of this business before the ignorant and naive remove any semblance of this business completely,

Posted: April 28th, 2008 at 6:04 am

Looks like you had a great afternoon, and for only $100 tuition to boot! (for non-attorneys). Hope the pizza and soda were at least OK (for $10 extra).

But what you didn’t mention is you were treated to a DOUBLE BILLING because sweet Mellssa Huelsman presented later in the afternoon. SWEET! Did you get her autograph?

Posted: May 6th, 2008 at 8:32 pm

It amazes me that a “simpleton” investor like yourself can make a bunch of highly educated, powerful attorneys look like a bunch of monkeys. All I can say is, if I ever had legal trouble regarding real estate foreclosure in the state of WA, I can’t think of one attorney I would want to represent me, but I’d be more than happy to have you defend me.

It seems as though you know more about the game and the rules that regulate it than the folks responsible for creating and litigating the rules. I guess that’s why attorney’s call it “practicing law”, whereas YOU as an investor actually need to KNOW the law. Present company excepted Walt.