The Challenge

Posted April 17th, 2008 by Joe Kaiser

I welcome the opportunity to demonstrate to you exactly how we accomplish it.

Consumer advocate attorney Melissa A. Huelsman posted the following challenge on www.businessweek.com:

I . . . request for people . . . who are conducting this business “honestly” to show us how it works. I would LOVE you to show me satisfied customers who got their house back at a reasonable price that they could afford. PLEASE!— Foreclosure Rescue-Rescue Attorney
Melissa A. Huelsman

melissa-huelsman.jpg
Melissa A. Huelsman

I accept her challenge.

Hello?

Some ten days ago I sent the following email to Melissa . . .

Hi Melissa,

Googled you a day or two ago hoping to learn how things turned out on the appeal matter and was glad to see your client prevailed. While I’m typically on the other side of the fence, I have zero sympathy for investors who think they can evict former owners and abscond with their equity.

While Googling, I came across an interesting comment you made at www.businessweek.com, if I recall correctly. Here, in part, is your post . . .

“I will join in Dean’s request for people to contact him or I who are conducting this business “honestly” to show us how it works. I would LOVE you to show me satisfied customers who got their house back at a reasonable price that they could afford. PLEASE! . . . I wait to be enlightened by all of those do-gooders out there who are saving people’s homes and asking for very little in return.”

Were you serious about this request?

As someone who’s made a career out of foreclosure rescue, I welcome the opportunity to demonstrate to you exactly how we accomplish it.

My only reservation is your comment regarding “do-gooders . . . “asking for very little in return.” That is a flawed premise. At no time do we represent to the homeowner that our proposal is anything but a “for profit” proposition and that we intend to make a significant profit in exchange for offering equally significant services.

With that understanding, please let me know if you’re serious about reviewing a rescue or two and learning how investors can provide this type of service in a manner that’s both fair and sensible. Again, I’d be happy to take you up on your challenge.

Hello?

So far, no response.

If you happen to see her in the hallway, would you let her know to get in touch with me so we can get her up to speed on this thing? Thanks.

11 Responses to: “The Challenge”

Posted: April 17th, 2008 at 11:21 am

Seems to be a trait of humanity that we form opinions of others, then prefer to hold on to those preconceptions, even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Don’t expect any miracles here.

2. Drew Hitt responds:
    Posted: April 17th, 2008 at 1:08 pm

“Very Little In Return?” I don’t understand that. Do you ask a lawyer to help me win this 20 million dollar settlement and will the attorney not take attorney fees and 33%?

These homeowners aren’t getting very little in return, they are given the once in a lifetime opportunity to remain in their home when a national lending instituation has turned their back on them.

We provide a priceless service, we keep families together, some even say we prevent psychological damage of tearing people from their life long homes. We write big checks, we aren’t in the business of loaning money, those companies have already failed the homeowners.

We plain get things done and save property and save lives. What’s that worth to you? To me I’d give just about anything, after all I’m not paying anything up front. What I save now, I can sacrifice later to keep what I have now.

3. David Alexander responds:
    Posted: April 17th, 2008 at 1:54 pm

Just politics…

Not looking for the real truth…. just want to appear in the right…

You Can’t Handle the…..

Posted: April 17th, 2008 at 8:22 pm

Yes, I agree………She will not be able to handle the truth……It is very simple…………..Question to homeowner: Do you want to let your home go to sale this Friday and receive any surplus sale proceeds if any and have to move out in 20 days.

OR Do you want me to write the check to stop the sale, you remain in your house and I make an agreed upon profit? Hmmmmmmmmm……..AG’s way or the investor’s way?????? AG’s = move Investor’s = stay

Only a crazy atty or ag or aag would pick “move.”

5. Varinia responds:
    Posted: April 17th, 2008 at 8:31 pm

Joe, you may or may not figure out who I am. I haven’t commented here before and I don’t read this blog on a regular basis.

In another city before this I worked with the U.S. attorney’s office to put a mortgage scammer away. Just like in this case there was a lot of misinformation in that office. I had to educate the attorney and the secret service about a lot of things, as things seemed to appear so obvious from the outside. Not being one to ‘kiss butt’ I told them what I thought about some of the points in their indictment, which really were contrived. I guess they figured ‘make a 36-page indictment and hope that 5 pages stick’. Well, the guy is in jail now. But I also saw the initial vilification of investors.

I got so fed with the mortgage fraud that I saw that I spent a week in the courthouse and found 4 big fraud groups, went through every one of their transactions (about 25-50 properties each in the previous 12 months). It was easy for me because I knew the areas, the values and how to look at the documents. I drove by the properties, figured out if they’re empty (most of them were) and gave a huge report to the FBI, explained to them how and what was being done.

What I’m trying to say is that some of these offices in other cities now see the benefit of working WITH investors and not just against them.

All of us who are honest are being hurt by the fraud. So, it’s in our own interest that we want the real scammers done in, because they reflect bad on all of us. It’s so much easier for us to recognize a fraud than it is for an Attorney General or the FBI, because we know the paperwork to do it right and we can recognize when it’s done wrong. Unfortunately, the different agencies tend to act re-actively and try to make the situation their imagined scenario. I know you know all this and wonder why I’m all regurgitating it. I don’t know, just writing.

I understand the reason for this blog and I think it’s great that you give food for thought, but I don’t agree with the way it’s done. Pride is an extremely powerful thing and the AG is probably so full of pride, that he’ll have a difficult time seeing beyond trying to keep face. There’s no graceful way for him to back down now. But this is your choice to make.

Can you get through to him? Hopefully, there’ll be some way that he’ll see beyond what he thinks is obvious. Whatever happens to you will have an effect on all of us, as other AGs will take their cue.

So, maybe there’s something WE, meaning a lot of us investors all over the US, can do to educate. Maybe come up with a manual, that simplifies, yet explains things in a non-threatening way, to be distributed to the various agencies that concerned with this? Explain the process, the pros, the cons, but not too long to read.

Just a thought

Posted: April 18th, 2008 at 1:20 am

I suggest we start with “What’s a Scam?”

Posted: April 18th, 2008 at 10:37 pm

The definition of a scam needs to defined.

And the AG’s office needs to get off their high horse and stop saying “there are no good foreclosure investor’s.”

And the AG’s office needs to stop trampling on real property rights, the right to contract with anyone he/she wishes to………..

8. David Alexander responds:
    Posted: April 18th, 2008 at 10:46 pm

That was my point in a post before…. If they hired a focus group of investors for just a few short sessions… they’d learn the difference quickly….

My guess… most of it is the mortgage fraud dept. as well… tons of falsified docs there…

Well said… I’m game…

9. Bruce responds:
    Posted: April 23rd, 2008 at 11:54 pm

Melissa the attorney, makes comments that smack of sarcasm.

Her ‘challenge’ is transparent/phony. She calls someone who actually helps homeowners a “do-gooder” ….AND she expects them to do their work for a very little! (that is too funny)

Here is a a lawyer, who probably charges $150 -$250 PER HOUR, suggesting what an investor should be charging (Very Little) to somehow qualify in Melissa’s world as being an honest business person.

If lawyers had to meet this SAME TEST, starting tomorrow, we would have no lawyers, period.

10. Mark responds:
    Posted: July 2nd, 2008 at 9:35 am

You are right – she is totally unwilling to consider that any type of lease/buyback/option (or whatever you want to call it) could work.

I was in a lawsuit with her, and she told my attorney that, in her opinion, “EVERY buyback is fraud” – period. We tried to show her a deal that worked, and offered to have her talk with those sellers (and then buyers) – or any number of others, but she refused. We ended up settling where we recovered most of our money that we fronted for the seller, but it was still very frustrating because she was purposely looking to crucify us.

One interesting item that came out of the deposition was that she was working pro-bono for the seller. She is absolutely wrong, but she really does BELIEVE that she is right.

The court paperwork actually looked like she had a form document for the lawsuit and she just changed the names and left the accusations the same as her previous lawsuit. It was so ludicrous and unbelievable that it was actually amusing.

Posted: July 2nd, 2008 at 9:56 am

Mark, welcome to the club.